It was between these and Frosted Bourbon Brownies

This week at work there was at least one good thing that happened. I've been wanting to join a book club for a very long time, but haven't yet. Then a few weeks ago at work I was talking about books with a couple co-workers and we decided to start a book club at work. I was so excited! Our first meeting was this past Tuesday, and as usual when there's any kind of event, I baked.

I tried something new, which always drives Aaron nuts - he heard once that you're not supposed to try new recipes on other people, and he sticks to that idea like it's adhesive-backed.

Anyway, I made a recipe I've been salivating over for a few weeks now: cappuccino brownies. And they were just as delicious as I hoped. If you need something decadent (they are super-rich; cut them small) for any occasion, I suggest these.

Cappuccino Brownies
source: Better Homes and Gardens Favorite Bars & Cookies, 2002

1/2 c. butter
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. instant coffee crystals*
1 Tbsp. whipping cream
1 c. sifted powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 recipe Chocolate Frosting** (recipe below)

Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a heavy medium saucepan cook and stir 1/2 c. butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon just until combined. Stir in vanilla.

Combine the flour and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture just until combined. Spread in the prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, for topping, dissolve coffee crystals in cream. In a small bowl beat together powdered sugar and the 2 Tbsp. butter with an electric mixture on medium speed until combined.*** Add the whipping cream mixture and beat until creamy. If necessary, beat in enough additional whipping cream to make a mixture of spreading consistency. Spread the topping over warm brownies. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until topping is set.

Carefully spread Chocolate Frosting over brownies. Cover and chill until set. Cut into bars. Makes about 16 brownies.

Chocolate Frosting: In a small saucepan combine 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate pieces and 1/3 c. whipping cream. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture begins to thicken.

*I used espresso powder, since that's what I have on hand
**This is ganache, pure and simple. And delicious.
***Do it this way and you'll have a big mess on your hands. Use a large bowl or stand mixture, otherwise you'll be covered in powdered sugar. Don't ask me how I know.

1 comments:

CPA Mom said...
August 8, 2007 at 11:26 AM

oh, I can't wait to try these.

Dude, I understand the powdered sugar thing. Happens every.single.time I make icing.

Leave a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Mrs. Ca. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.