Thoughts from a sleepless night

As I tweeted this morning, I have, so far, seen every hour of this day. To say it was a long night is a bit of an understatement. It doesn't help, of course, that on top of my child repeatedly waking me up I managed to keep myself awake too. I present, thoughts from a long, sleepless night:

12:38 am: I should get up and attend to the child, since Aaron took her on last night.

12:38.5 am: Hot damn my hips hurt. Stupid running on a treadmill. Note to self, don't do that again. It's beautiful outside, run there!

1:10 am: Seriously, kid! Fall asleep already!

1:12 am: She's asleep, but for some reason I'm still awake. Hey, you know what would make a good name for our next kid if it's a boy (Ed. note: no, not pregnant, just planning ahead)? Paul Alan - names from all grandpas incorporated. Score!

1:13 am: Now, how to get Aaron to agree to that or Violet if it's a girl. Violet goes well with Gabrielle, I feel. He thinks it's a silly name though. Must find a way to convince him otherwise.

1:15 am: Zzzzz

2:38 am: Hey! Look at that! She woke up exactly two hours apart.

2:45 am: Thank goodness that was a shorter time awake. Hey, the DVR is making a weird noise. It kind of sounds like the aliens from Signs.

3:20 am: That was smart, freaking yourself out imagining one of the aliens from Signs was on the deck. Way to go, self!

4:45 am: Where is that damn binky? Why does she still need a binky? Note to self: Google methods to get rid of the binky.

5:10 am: *still thinking of tactics to get rid of the binky, since dropping it woke her up again* Note to self: maybe not until after the road trip to Kansas City in April, since it's still a surefire way to get her to be quiet for a few minutes or get her to fall asleep quickly in the car.

5:11 am: *freaking out over 26 hours (total - 13 hours each way) in the car with an almost 2-year-old* What the hell am I thinking?

5:25 am: I should really mix up a batch of bread to go with dinner tonight.

6:30 am: Why did I decide to wake up early to mix up a batch of bread again? Well, no reason to try to go back to sleep now.

6:45 am: I need to make a list of items to help entertain Gabbie on the road trip: portable dvd player, Magnadoodle, stickers, threading cards, jelly beans, goldfish crackers....? I should write about this on my blog to see if anyone else has any ideas!

2 comments:

Cassie said...
March 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I am SO like that when Will wakes up at night -- I lay there and think of the craziest crap. I have lots of good ideas in the early hours of the morning, most of which I've forgotten by the time I get up for the day.

I love the name Violet! So classic and beautiful. And you could do her nursery in purple -- so sweet!

As for the pacifier, I have no advice. We took Andrew's from him cold-turkey and he never missed it, but I think he's probably the exception.

And as for ways to entertain Gabbie...If I were taking Andrew on a road trip, I would take with me his entire wardrobe, because he is obsessed with putting on and taking off his clothes. I would also take lots of paper for him to rip up. Cleaning the car would be a bitch, but he would be entertained for hours!

Cassie said...
March 9, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Just thought of a possible drawback to the name Violet -- "Violet, you're turning violet, Violet!" Of course, her generation probably won't be growing up with Willy Wonka, will they?

Leave a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Mrs. Ca. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.