Ghosts of Friends Past

My friend C and I were absolutely inseperable for about two years in college. We had more fun together than I will ever admit to (because not all of that fun was exactly *ahem* legal), and did pretty much everything together. After two years of shenanigans, we both needed to get our heads on straight and each of us headed home for a semester at community college, her to her hometown, me to mine. Though we were still close, we started to grow apart. She was still having a lot of fun of the sort we typically got into together, and I was having a different sort of fun with Aaron, who I had just started to date, and who was encouraging me to be more serious about life.

The next year we were both back at school, and C was still spending a lot of time having fun. I was working and had finally gotten serious about my studying. C ended up dropping out of school to move across the country with her boyfriend, and in the process seemed to push her friends away. I understand how that goes. My past seems to be littered with friends who I spent a year or two with and then who dropped off the face of the earth. I seem to befriend intense drifters, those that give you all their attention for a brief time and then fade away, onto to other adventures. My feelings weren't hurt. I figure it is just the natural process of things and that I'll either find these friends again sometime or be satisfied with some great memories of all of the time we spent together.

The time when C and I were inseperable is about ten years in the past. I heard from her about six years ago, and then nothing. I've searched for her on Facebook and elsewhere on the internet a couple of times a year, but I've never been able to find her. There have been times I've been convinced she actually did drop off the face of the earth.

I'm sure you can sense where this is going. Out of the blue last week, C popped up on Facebook.  She just joined and one of the first things she did was find my profile and send me a message. She's back in the state and wants to catch up. I'm a little in disbelief that she has come out of the woodwork, but it sounds like she's doing well (we haven't gotten a chance to talk yet, as we both have crazy busy lives) and I couldn't be happier that she contacted me. I can't wait to get to know her again. And while I'm sure we've both adapted our idea of fun from the fun we used to have, I can't wait to have fun with her again.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Mrs. Ca. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.